The employer preferred applicants with CompTIA A+ certification, as well as experience with Microsoft desktop applications and servers. The Service Desk Engineer is responsible for onsite service and support needs for our customers. This relates to all technology, including workstations, servers, printers, networks, and vendor specific hardware and software. This is a free beginner level course that introduces learners to the role of an IT Support agent, including core priorities and key responsibilities. It teaches learners how to interact with other roles and master specific performance skills. This IT help desk certification program is a low-risk, low-cost way for people to gain the skills they need to get a well-paying entry-level job in the IT support field. Doing these three things will enable you to move up the ranks much faster than most people even dream of.
- 1+ years’ experience or relative experience in a professional environment assisting users with IT needs and hands-on Desktop experience.
- You may increase your earning potential by pursuing post-secondary training, obtaining certifications or living in an area with a higher cost of living.
- The more efficiently you cooperate with individuals who can assist you in completing your responsibilities, the more you will be able to achieve.
- Finally, you may choose to advance your career by moving into a related field such as project management or IT management.
- Paul is an IT Professional with over 11 years of experience currently working with various Federal Agencies in the United States as a Network Administrator.
Omar is a Computer Science graduate with several certificates from Cisco (CCNA, CCNA-Voice, CCNA-Wireless, CCNP) & Microsoft (MCSA & MCP). Whether one is completely new or has had some exposure to IT, this program is highly recommended to get started in the field of technology. It also serves as an excellent option for those in need of retraining. Job listings will sometimes have listings for “help desk analysts” or “help desk technicians,” or simply “IT help desk.” What’s the difference? The two titles can sometimes be used interchangeably, but more often an analyst will receive higher pay and be expected to work with minimal supervision, having more experience. If you’re interested in training to help you level up in the field we can share with you information about our programs.
Google IT Automation with Python Professional Certificate (Platform)
A Help desk technician provides technical support and assistance, whether on the phone, in person, or remotely, related to computer https://remotemode.net/ systems, hardware, and software. A help desk technician responds to customer queries to provide technical assistance.
Anyone interested in learning and becoming a system admin can check out what’s in store here. There are also preparation tutorials to clear the Microsoft’s certification on server systems to become a system admin. So, learners can now earn up to 12 college credits for completing the program. This opens up additional pathways to help learners get the degree they need to move beyond the entry-level job and advance their IT career into more senior, higher-paying positions. According to Indeed, the wage of an analyst is $18.00 per hour, on average, while Indeed’s summary of the “technical support” position identifies an average wage of $16.36 per hour. The technical support job description closely fits that of a help desk technician, so consider that title when job hunting, though it may involve traveling to clients’ homes to perform hands-on repairs. This IT help desk technician job description template includes the list of most important IT help desk technician’s duties and responsibilities.
About the Position
Technical Support Jobs include roles as Maintenance Engineers, Help Desk Operators or Applications Support Specialists. There are several trainings and certification courses available online that train candidates for these IT Support and customer service positions. These courses provide a solid base and a marketable how to become a help desk engineer skill set that learners can use to apply for IT help desk jobs with top employers. Lately, there has been a great interest and demand for these courses. Our experts have created this list of best IT Support, Customer Service and Help Desk courses, certifications, trainings and classes that are available online.
- This entails making your present end user’s problem appear to be your top concern, even if you do not consider it to be a critical issue.
- As a help desk analyst, you may deal exclusively with internal or external customers, or with a combination of both.
- If you like to solve technical issues and work with people, then help desk technician may be a good next step for you.
- Provides technical guidance on hardware equipment including setup, assistance, and minor repairs.
- There are also courses that train you to run an IT help desk from a local or remote location.
- An IT help desk is a demanding job with two layers of necessary skills.
Communication, business context, emotional intelligence and marketing are just a few of the capabilities that any person working in this role needs to be continually trained on. Let’s look at the service desk support analyst role, including typical responsibilities. Assists customers in resolving technical problems on assigned by providing guidance regarding software and hardware problems. Resolves and/or refers more complex technical problems through a defined escalation process.
How to Get Help Desk Experience
Help desk technicians are usually the first point of contact for customers who are trying to work through any technical problems, and they can typically be reached through phone, live chat, or even in person. Everyone hates making the call to their cable company, cell phone company or any customer service specialist, but you need some help in these situations.
- The low end hovers in the mid-30s, but more experienced and advanced roles, including analysts and managers, can easily earn in the $65,000-$80,000 range.
- Respecting your co-workers is also important and helps to foster a positive work environment as we talked about earlier.
- Next, students are shown tools and websites that will help them complete some tasks faster, easier, and more professionally.
- One of the most important traits of an excellent help desk technician is the willingness to learn.
- All Help Desk Technician duties are performed using remote desktop tools and by communicating with end users over the phone.
If handling support calls via phone and email is not appealing to you, you have other options. For example, if you’re interested in repairing computers, but you want a more hands-on job, you might consider becoming a PC technician. PC technicians physically install and maintain computer equipment, and they often travel to clients’ locations to work. Usually, a high school diploma and technical expertise are the minimum requirements for this career, but you may also need a college degree or specific certifications for some jobs. Help Desk Technicians are crucial to a company or organization’s IT/customer support system.
Service Desk TIPS Explained: Ticket, Incident, Problem, Service Request
Others work outside of traditional work hours so that they don’t tie up the networks or systems while other employees need to access them. If you work for an organization that offers 24-hour help desk support, you have the option to choose an overnight shift. If you haven’t honed your ability to perform well under pressure, it may be extremely distressing.
This course helps you understand VPN terms and technologies, so you can configure a custom VPN solution. It covers protocols such as PPTP, L2TP over IPSec, OpenVPN, SSTP, and WireGuard, and shows how to use SSH to secure data travelling between systems.